Do Self-Employed Nail Technicians need insurance?

By Dean Laming on January 17th, 2023

As a nail technician, the kind of filing you’re most experienced at is on your customers’ nails. Whether it’s painting or polishing, buffing or shining, paperwork is often the furthest thing from your mind. However, getting your house in order on the insurance front is just as important as providing that perfect manicure.

Insurance for nail technicians will protect you and your business from any unforeseen mishaps and provide you with the peace of mind to carry on with what you do best.

When it comes to insurance for nail technicians, there are a number of different kinds of cover you need to look out for.


Treatment risk

Putting smiles in customers’ face is just as important as what you put on their nails. A happy customer is your best advertisement but what happens when someone hasn’t had such a good experience? Treatment risk is an essential part of insurance for anyone working in the hair and beauty industry. It protects you for claims made against you by clients who feel that their treatment has caused them some form of injury, illness, damage or loss. The claim must be directly related to the professional services they have received.


Public liability insurance

This is a less specific form of cover than treatments risk but equally important. It covers you for claims made against you by clients or members of the public who have been injured, taken ill or had their property damaged as a result of your working practices. This can include incidents which happen on your business premises, at client’s home or at another location.


Products liability insurance

If you use or supply products to a third party as part of your work as a nail technician, you could be liable for any adverse effects it causes. Given that nail technicians can often work with potentially toxic liquids, it’s good to know you will be protected if a product is found to be faulty or hazardous.


Employers liability insurance

If you have anyone working for you, then you are legally obliged to have employer’s liability insurance. Even if you only have one employee or employ part-time workers, you must have this cover in place.


Buildings & contents

If you work from a fixed premises, you may need to take out buildings and contents cover. If you rent a unit and your landlord has their own buildings insurance, you will still need to have contents cover to protect your own possessions.

Dean Laming

Dean Laming is a Chartered Insurance Broker with more than 25 years insurance experience. Through various underwriting, operational and management roles, Dean has built up extensive knowledge of the hair and beauty sector and is now Managing Director of Salon Saver, part of the wider Henry Seymour Group.

All articles by Dean Laming

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 6278 Reviews*

All very quick and easy

Reviewed 1 week ago

Highly recommend by a beauty therapist of mine!!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Easy site to use and very competitive cost. Thank You

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Leave a review
This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s). © Copyright 2024 Salon Saver | Salon Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register. Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
*Reviews taken from our sister site Salon Gold
Redirecting you to Salon Gold, our sister website for salons, hair and beauty professionals.